Akai EWI4000S - Using the Preset Editor
The Akai EWI4000S is a fantastically versatile instrument that contains many built-in sounds, allowing for easy portability without the need for bulky computers and connection cables. However, the EWI4000S also allows for the ability to connect to a computer in order to change the preset sounds however you like, as well as create completely new ones! This guide walks through how to connect the EWI4000S to a computer and use the preset editor.
- Hardware Setup
- Downloading and installing the Vyzex Editor
- Vyzex Editor Settings
- Saving and Loading Presets
- Further Technical Assistance
The following gear is necessary in order to back up or load presets to and from the EWI4000S:
- MIDI interface
- Two (2) standard 5-pin DIN MIDI cables
- First, ensure that your MIDI interface is correctly connected and working. Refer to your product's support page or reference manual for specific installation steps.
- Next, using the two 5-pin DIN MIDI cables, connect the MIDI OUT port on the EWI to the MIDI IN port on the MIDI interface.
Also, connect the MIDI IN port on the EWI to the MIDI OUT port on the MIDI interface.
- Visit the Docs & Downloads section of the EWI4000S product page and download the correct Vyzex Editor software for your computer. It will be one of the following:
- Once the installation completes, Open the Vyzex Editor software. It will likely go through an Auto Sense process to try to determine which MIDI ports the EWI4000S is connected to.
It is typical if it does not automatically read the correct port. If AutoSense does not find the EWI4000S, choose OK in the window that appears.
- Once the Auto Sense process completes, you may be brought to a screen that refers to the incorrect MIDI ports and have the option to Cancel or Cancel All. Choose Cancel All.
This will bring you to the main Vyzex Editor window.
- From the menu at the top of the screen, choose MIDI> MIDI In Ports... and a menu window will open. Choose the correct MIDI In port, un-check the Always Start with All MIDI Ports Open option, and then choose OK.
- Then, from the menu at the top of the screen, choose MIDI > MIDI Out Ports... and a menu window will open. Choose the correct MIDI Out port, un-check the Always Start with All MIDI Ports Open option, and then choose OK.
- Now that your MIDI Ports are chosen correctly, obtain the current settings from the EWI4000S and load them into the Vyzex Editor. To do this, choose GET.
- In the window that opens, choose Overwrite Preset Bank to load the information from the EWI4000S to the eidtor (this will not affect the presets currently stored in the EWI4000S).
- The Vyzex Editor will go through a load process as it obtains all of the preset information from the EWI4000S.
Once this loading process completes, all of your current presets on the EWI4000S will be loaded into the Vyzex editor.
You can now choose a preset sound from the BANK of presets, click on the PRESET button to view the sound editor synth engine, and make changes to any of the sounds loaded in the EWI4000S.
- Once you make the changes you want, choose the SAVE button to save the preset settings to a file on your computer.
In the window that opens, name and save the preset file to your hard drive. This will be a .bnk file.
You have now backed up your presets!
- To load in a previously saved sound set, from the Vyzex Editor, choose Open.
Find and choose the saved preset of your choice and load it into the Vyzex Editor.
- Once the sound set is loaded into the Vyzex Editor, choose the PUT button to load it to the EWI4000S.
Your new sound set is now loaded to the EWI4000S! Enjoy!
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own an Akai Pro product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the Akai Pro technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.