Akai Pro MPK mini mkII - How to Obtain, Download, and Install Included Software
The MPK mini mkII is an ultra-compact controller designed for the travelling musician and desktop producer. In this guide and video we cover setting up the MPK mini mkII with the included MPC Essentials software and the AIR Hybrid plugin. We walk through downloading, installing, and authorizing the software and how to quickly get up and running and making music.
- Driver Installation
- MPC Essentials Software Installation and Authorization
- Hybrid 3 and Wobble Software Installation and Authorization
- Further Technical Support
The MPK Mini MKII is a class-compliant MIDI device. A class-compliant device is one that doesn't require extra drivers to connect your Windows or Macintosh computer. Class compliant devices use drivers which are built into the host (i.e. the computer) operating system.
- Begin by connecting the MPK Mini MKII to a free USB port on your computer. We recommend going into the back of your computer, as this is closest to the power supply. This will provide the most power necessary to the controller for optimum performance.
- After connecting the controller to your computer, Windows will install the driver necessary for the MPK Mini MKII to communicate with your computer.
- Launch your web browser, and go to www.akaipro.com.
- Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, and underneath My Account, select login or create to login to or create your account.
- After your account has been accessed, you will be presented with a page that says My Order History and My Product Registrations. Your registered products and related software downloads will be listed below.
- We will want to select Register a product now to register.
- Next, you will be presented with a screen to enter your information and register your controller.
- Select MPK mini mkii from the drop-down menu.
- Make sure you enter the serial number exactly as it appears on the bottom of your controller.
Important: Neglecting the "(21)" and failing to capitalize the "A" will result in a rejected serial number.
- There is no software version for this controller, so this field can be left blank.
- Include your purchase date and place of purchase, then select Register Product to complete the registration.
After successfully registering the controller, you will be presented with the serial numbers and download links for MPC Essentials, Hybrid 3, and Wobble.
- To install MPC Essentials, select MPC 1.6.1 PC (select MPC Essentials 1.6.1 [Mac] if on a Mac).
- After the download is complete, we will need to extract the files before installation. To do this, make sure you have an unzipping program installed on your computer and right-click in the white space of the folder in which the download is stored. After doing this, select Extract All... to extract the files. Make sure you remember this location so we can retrieve it afterwards.
- After the files are extracted, select Install MPC Essentials 1.6.1 WIN to run the setup.
- Follow all of the prompts to proceed with the installation.
- After the installation is completed, you will be prompted to unlock your software. Select Unlock Now to continue.
- To unlock the software, make sure you're entering the serial number for MPC Essentials found within your Akai Professional account. This will be a 15-digit code containing a mixture of capital letters and numbers, preceded with a "(21)". You will want to make sure you're entering this number exactly as it appears in your account. To make the process easier, we recommend copy/pasting the code from your account into the software. Fill in the rest of the information and select Unlock Now.
- After this, you will see a box saying you've successfully unlocked your MPC!
- After launching the software, select Help > Check For Updates... and after this, you should be prompted with a dialogue saying the MPC Essentials 1.7.1 update is available.
- Select Download Update, close the application, and follow all of the instructions from before to successfully install the software update.
- Congratulations, you have successfully installed the latest version of MPC Essentials!
- Return to your Akai Professional account, and select AIR Hybrid 3 Virtual Instrument (PC) to download Hybrid.
- After the download is complete, we will need to extract the files before installation. To do this, right-click in the white space of the folder in which the download is stored. After doing this, select Extract All... to extract the files. Make sure you remember this location so we can retrieve it afterwards.
- After the files are extracted, select Install Hybrid to run the setup.
- Follow all of the prompts to proceed with the installation.
- To authorize Hybrid, navigate to your Desktop and launch the Hybrid Authorizer.
- Select Internet Activation or Manual Activation and follow the prompts to proceed with the authorization process. Repeat these steps to download and authorize SONiVOX Wobble.
- Congratulations, you've successfully downloaded and installed Hybrid 3 and Wobble!
Before scanning and opening the plugins in MPC Essentials, authorize the plugins with the iLok License Manager:
- Find and open the iLok License Manager from your Programs or Applications folder.
- Click on Sign-In in the top left corner. If you have used iLok before with other products and have an account, sign-in to your account. If you have never seen or used iLok before, click on Create New Account in the Sign In window and follow the prompts to create an account.
Please note: We recommend using an iLok account. Signing in is not always necessary to utilize an iLok license, but having and using an account to keep track of your licenses is free and provides additional features and options for managing and moving your licenses when necesary. You can see our Managing Authorization Codes and Licenses guide for more information.
- Once you are logged in, click on Licenses at the top of the window and choose Redeem Activation Code.
- A window will appear with space for you to enter an authorization code.
- Navigate to your Akai Pro account page, highlight and copy the Authorization Code for Hybrid. Paste this code into the first box on the left and the code will fill out the remaining fields. When you're ready, click Next.
- You will be prompted to choose a location for your license. You are free to choose an iLok dongle if you have one, but for most users, just choose your computer (this will be the option with the computer icon on the left) and click Activate.
- You will be asked to confirm this one more time. Click OK.
- Finally, iLok will notify you when the activation is complete!
This process (steps 3 - 8) can be repeated for any other plugins that utilize an iLok license, including Wobble.
Also included with your MPK mini MKII are three content packs to help you get started producing beats and making music. Check out the following guide to help you get going with all that additional content:
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own an Akai Pro product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the Akai Pro technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.