Piano-action production powerhouse.
The Akai Professional MPK88 is a professional performance keyboard controller with MPC production controls. The MPK88 draws on the design of the popular MPK49, the first keyboard ever to feature MPC pads. This first-of-its-kind keyboard is ideal for performance, starting with a premium, fully weighted, hammer-action keyboard, adding MPC pads, Q-Link controls, and a selection of MPC technologies. The MPK88 is born for the stage and is equally at home in the studio.
MPK88 features an 88-key keyboard and 16 genuine MPC pads. The hammer-action keyboard is fully weighted and features aftertouch for expressive melodic control. The MPC pads are pressure and velocity-sensitive to capture every nuance of your creative concepts. The pads can access four banks of sounds, so you have 64 samples at your fingertips with the touch of a button.
The MPK88 places dedicated transport controls within your reach for easy control of some of the most important tracking and editing controls. The MPK88 has modulation and pitch-bend wheels for expressive musicality, and two assignable footswitch inputs enable you to connect an expression pedal or other continuous controller and a footswitch for momentary controls like patch change or start/stop.
Avid® Pro Tools® Express Included
Compose, record, edit, and mix using the tools the professionals use. Pro Tools Express starts with 16 simultaneous stereo or mono audio tracks. Add in the popular Boom, Xpand!2, and Structure Free player virtual instruments from AIR Music Technology—all included. Finish off with dozens of high-powered effect plug-ins, including the in-demand AIR effects. Plus, Pro Tools Express offers session file compatibility with the entire Pro Tools family, so you can take your tracks to the finest studios around the world.
One of the most important input devices on an MPC is its Q-Link assignable control section. Akai Pro built a massive collection of Q-Links into the MPK series. The MPK88 gives you eight virtual knobs that are assignable to control nearly any software parameter. You can control three different parameters per knob thanks to the knobs' three-bank selection, totaling 24 parameters of instant, hands-on control. Like the virtual knobs, eight virtual faders and eight virtual buttons also control three banks of parameters each, so you get 24 virtual faders and 24 virtual buttons. That's 72 Q-Link controls!
Two technologies pioneered in the MPC series and built into the MPK series are MPC Note Repeat and MPC Swing. These note-modifying features can be heard in many of the most popular tracks over the last two decades. MPC Note Repeat is a capability that enables the MPK (or MPC) to automatically play a rhythm pattern, such as 16th notes on a hi-hat, for accuracy and speed of entry. MPC Swing is sometimes referred to as "the heart and soul of hip hop" because it turns perfectly aligned sequences into human feeling time alignments. You can specify exactly the degree and timing of swing you want to apply for the perfect feel.
The MPK88 has Key Split, enabling you to control two different sounds from the same keyboard. On top of MPC technologies, the MPK88 has its own arpeggiator, which enables you to create quick, creative riffs in seconds. Just pick a note or chord and a rhythm pattern in the arpeggiator's library and the MPK will play your notes in the rhythm and sequence you choose.
The MPK88 also has MPC Full Level and MPC 16-Level on its pads, as well as Tap Tempo and Time Division so you can nail the tempo, timing, and dynamics exactly as you hear them in your head.
The MPK88 is a MIDI controller that sends its MIDI values over USB. It’s bus-powered, so all you need to connect and power the MPK88 is the supplied USB cable. Because it is MIDI-compliant, the MPK88 works with most MIDI recording, sequencing, and performance software for musical performers from keyboard players to producers to DJs and even VJs!
The MPK88 also comes with Ableton Live Lite Akai Pro Edition, one of the most popular and powerful performance and production programs in the world. Ableton Live Lite enables musicians to spontaneously compose, record, remix, improvise, and edit musical ideas in a seamless audio/MIDI environment.
Hit the stage with the only keyboard designed to enable you to perform the way today’s music is made.
Avid and Pro Tools are registered trademarks of Avid Technology Inc
- 88-key fully weighted, hammer-action keyboard with aftertouch for expressive melodic creativity
- 16 genuine MPC pads with pressure and velocity sensitivity
- Avid® Pro Tools® Express audio production software included
- Ableton Live Lite Akai Pro Edition software included
- MPC pads access four banks each for instant access to 64 samples
- Control up to 72 software parameters with 24 assignable Q-Link knobs, buttons, and faders
- Key Split enables two different sounds from the same keyboard
- MPC Note Repeat, MPC Swing, and arpeggiator aid in creative process
- Transport controls for use with sequencers and DAWs
- MPC Full Level, MPC 16-Level, Tap Tempo, and Time Division assist with tempo and dynamics
- MIDI output over USB, bus powered, class compliant: plug and play with one USB cable
- Works with virtually all MIDI recording, sequencing, and performance software
- MPK88 Controller
- Avid Pro Tools Express
- USB Cable
- Software CD
- Quickstart Guide
Avid and Pro Tools are registered trademarks of Avid Technology Inc.
- Number of Keys: 88 + 16 x 4 banks of drum pads
- Type of action: Fully weighted hammer action
- Aftertouch (Channel)
- Computer Interface: USB/MIDI
- Displays: Custom LCD
- Footswitchable Patch Changes: yes
- Number of Independent MIDI Ins/Outs: 1
- Programmable Continuous Footpedals: 1
- Programmable Footswitches: 2
- Programmable controllers: MMC, MIDI START/STOP, MIDI CC
- System Real-Time Controls: MMC, MIDI START/STOP, MIDI CC
- Dimensions: (WxDxH) 51.7” x14.9” x 5.2”
- Shipping Weight: 67 lbs.
- Macintosh: 1.25 GHz G4/G5 or faster (Intel Mac recommended), 1 GB RAM (2 GB recommended), Mac OS X 10.4.11 (10.5 or later recommended)
- Windows: 1.5 GHz Pentium 4 or Celeron compatible CPU or faster (multicore CPU recommended), 1 GB RAM (2 GB recommended), Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP, Windows compatible sound card (ASIO driver support recommended), QuickTime recommended
- Available USB Port
|Manuals & Documentation||Size||Type|
|MPK88 - Product Overview
|MPK88 - QuickStart Guide [revA]
|MPK88 - Reference Manual [revB]
|MPD and MPK series - Setup With Ableton Live
|MPD and MPK Series - Setup With Logic Pro
|MPD and MPK Series - MIDI Mapping in Logic
|MPD and MPK Series - Setup With Fruity Loops
|MPD and MPK Series - Transport Controls MIDI Details
|MPD and MPK Series - MIDI IO Details
|Software & Drivers||Size||Type|
|MPK61 & MPK88 - Preset Editor Software for Windows and Macintosh
|Reason Remote Files
For use with MPD24, MPD26, MPD32, MPK49, MPK61, and MPK88. The latest version of Reason has these presets built in, however you can manually install them using this download (includes instructions).