MPC X/Live 2.0.5 Firmware Update
This release is for MPC X and MPC Live hardware.
Ableton Link over WIFI - Support for Ableton Link has been added to the MPC standalone firmware. In the TUI go to Preferences > WIFI to configure your network. To activate Ableton Link go to the Mode Menu>Toolbar and from the Sync drop down menu choose Ableton Link. Ableton Link synchronizes beat, phase and tempo of Link-enabled applications over a wireless or wired network.
Bluetooth MIDI and QWERTY keyboard support - Use a wireless bluetooth MIDI controller such as Akai’s LPK25 and LPD8 with your MPC Live/X. Go to Preferences > Bluetooth to pair your bluetooth devices.
List Editor: Provides a TUI based event editing interface for fine tuning events. From the Mode Menu choose List Edit.
- On the Toolbar use the View field to filter the event list by type.
- To move an event, turn the Nudge f-key On, now use the data wheel and +/- buttons to adjust the time position of the selected event.
- Audition note events using the audition f-key.
- Delete events using the Delete f-key.
- To select multiple events hold down the hardware shift button and tap the events.
- Use the settings popup to set the options for Pads Select events on/off and Auto Scroll behavior.
Drum program warping and new Program Edit Samples page
- MPC adds realtime time-stretching and pitch-shifting to audio samples. On the Main Page with a Drum Program on the current track press the Warp Samples shortcut to go to the new Program Edit > Samples page. To activate realtime time-stretching and pitch-shifting on the current pad press the Warp button; press again to deactivate.
- The new Program Edit > Samples page waveform indicates the length of the sample against a bar/beats/pulses timeline, this gives you clear visual feedback when stretching a sample to a desired time division. With Warp On the waveform will update in realtime to display changes to the BPM and Stretch parameters. With Warp Off changing the Semi or Fine tune parameters of a sample will adjust its duration on the timeline.
- With Warp On use the BPM Sync button to lock your samples BPM to your sequence or master tempo.
- With Warp On and BPM Sync off use the Stretch parameter to lengthen or shorten a sample without syncing it to your sequence tempo.
- Use the four dedicated Layer buttons to switch the waveform and parameters to edit the selected layer.
- The Samples page has a dedicated Q-Link layout for hands-on control of a sample’s start, end and loop points as well as zoom and scroll for the waveform display.
Audio Editing Improvements:
- The audio editing tools Pointer, Eraser and Mute now support the selection of multiple regions. With one of those tools selected touch and drag from an empty space in the Audio Edit grid to draw a selection box around multiple regions. You can now move, resize, mute or erase multiple regions.
- Use the new Marquee tool to chop out sections of an audio arrangement. The Marquee tool supports multi-tool operation and divides the vertical height of a region into thirds using a different editing action for each third. Use the middle third of the audio grid to draw the selection area, then touch the top third of a region to chop out the selection. Use the bottom third of the audio grid to alter the start and end points of a region or regions.
- Double tapping multiple selected regions deselects all.
Flatten Pad - From Main Mode, go to the Program overlay (the pencil icon in the Program section) and choose Flatten Pad, or from the Program Edit Toolbar use the Flatten Pad icon to render a pad with all of its settings to a new audio file. From the Flatten Pad popup select the pad you wish to flatten and then press Do It. The flattened audio file is rendered from the end of the selected pads mixer strip (post fader) and will include all the pads editing parameters, and insert effects. The flatten operation will replace the audio file assigned to the pad with the new flattened bounce, reset all the pads parameters to their default values and remove the pad insert effects.
Preferences Date and Time - To view the date and time of your MPC go to Preferences > Hardware and scroll down to the Date and Time fields. The date and time will automatically sync to your host computer when MPC is connected in controller mode.
Grid Edit Copy Events - Select a single note or a range of notes and then press the hardware Copy button. MPC copies and pastes the new events at the end of the previous selection.
Sequence Edit > Copy Events adds a Selection option for copying MIDI events.
Format a drive - You can now use the MPC Live/X to reformat your storage devices. From the Browser, Places section select the drive and hold Shift to reveal the additional f-keys and then select ‘Format Drive’. This will remove any partitions your drive currently has and reformat the entire drive to ExFAT - a format which is compatible with Windows, OSX, and Linux operating systems. Note : uninitialised drives and drives which do not have a filesystem are currently not recognised by the MPC and as such, cannot be formatted.
Program, Pad and Return Mixer strips can now be routed to mono outputs. From a channel strip’s output combo box menu choose from the available stereo or mono outputs. When a monophonic output is chosen the left and right channels will be summed to mono post pan. If the pan control is in the centre position the left and right channels will be summed and then padded. Moving the pan control hard left or right will send only that channel to the output, this can be used to remove cancelation between the addition of uncorrelated channels or spotlight the left or right channel of the audio path.
The metronome can now be sent to any output pair. On the TUI, Main Mode tap the metronome icon to bring up the Metronome popup, double tap on the Output combo box to choose an output. This setting will persist across sessions.
The audition bus can now be sent to any output pair. From Preferences > Other go to the Audition Outputs field and choose an output. This setting will persist across sessions. The following are routed to the audition output bus:
- Browser - autoplay and manual play of samples, programs and projects.
- Sample Edit - sample playback, play cue, slice preview.
- Sampler - [Play] F-key on keep or discard pop up.
- Sample pool - auditioning sample.
- Improved ergonomics of advanced bipolar knobs and faders. Advanced bipolar knobs are easier to adjust and now move by angle. Double-tapping a bipolar knob or volume overlay will reset it to zero.
- Saving to a read-only disk now generates a warning message.
- Combo box lists now support inertial scrolling and animation performance has been improved.
- MIDI Clock/MMC improved stability and reliability:
- Master clock latency is now lower
- Duplicate Song Position Pointer message that was sent when hitting play start has now been removed
- Standalone devices now send Record Strobe and Record Exit MMC messages
- Standalone devices can now correctly determine BPM when receiving both MIDI clock and MMC messages simultaneously
- Standalone slave or master devices no longer go out of sync when repeatedly pressing Play and Stop
- Hardware navigation and numeric entry is improved in Program Edit and Main Mode.
- On the MPC Live when the Q-Link orientation is horizontal the Q-Links have been reordered, Q-Link 1 is now at the top of the column and Q-Link 4 is at the bottom.
- Sequence, Master or externally received tempo increases no longer cause overlapping audio regions.
- BPM detection for long samples is limited between 60 to 180 BPM to improve accuracy.
Stability and reliability
- TUI keyboard performance has been improved
- Audio regions can now be edited when tempo is externally synced
- Audio regions no longer move when saving and loading a project.
- Fixed an issue with the command history when audio regions are truncated
- Play head no longer disappears behind audio regions when a region is selected
- Undoing audio region deletion and adjusting parameters no longer causes duplicate overlapping region to be created
- 'Add Event' Sampler recording latency has been minimized
- Fixed an issue which caused audio recordings to end early
- Latency compensation when recording has been applied to audio tracks
- Bit depth of recordings to audio tracks now reflects Sampling Bit Depth setting in Preferences
- Audio region editing has now been disabled during recording
- Spelling error in audio track limit reached message has been corrected
- Using grid navigation and editing tools during autoscrolling playback will now defeat autoscrolling
- Waveforms are rendered correctly when recording audio with grid in view
- EFI partitions from GUID-mapped drives are no longer displayed in the Browser or Save dialogues
- File list scrollbar updates correctly
- Scrollbar has been added to File Browser
- Cycling through Channel Mixer pages quickly no longer creates false parameter displays on OLEDs
- Fixed crash in Channel Mixer when switching to returns page from second page of tracks or programs
- Fixed a crash when entering the Audio Edit grid
- The Browser's Load All function has been given a clearer description
- Fixed a crash when bouncing 'Program: ' to an audio track, sample, or pad
- An internal storage device will no longer appear in the Browser if it fails to mount or is ejected from the unit
- Recent Project entries will appear greyed out when their source drive is no longer available
- 'Mixer' no longer appears in the List Editor's pad/note column
- List Editor's View filter options no longer have 'view' in their names
- Fixed an issue which caused the 'Resample R' Looper input source to be unselectable
MIDI Control Mode
- Cursor up/right/down/left control options have been removed from MIDI Control mode
- LEDs now light up for Browse, Step Seq, Sampler, XYFX and Pad Perform hardware buttons
- Fixed an issue which caused MIDI output ports to occasionally fail to initialize when MPC is restarted
- Fixed an issue with selecting MIDI output ports in preferences
- MPC Live and X now detect tempo when receiving both MIDI clock and MMC messages from another MPC Live or X
- Saving a project no longer disables MIDI sync
- Standalone devices no longer lose MIDI clock position sync when repeatedly pressing play and stop
- Changing sequence length no longer creates undo history action for every step of change in a single adjustment
- Fixed an issue which caused Main Mode's MIDI track meter to deactivate after changing to Track View mode
- Metronome Level & Time Correct Strength OLEDs now draw in the same style in for audio and MIDI
- Program and audio track label positions in Main Mode have been adjusted
- Slide-in menu performance has improved
- Inserting XYFX while a sequence is in playback no longer causes an audible glitch
Plugin Hosting - Effects
- Bypassing Delay Sync, Delay Analog Sync or Delay Tape Sync via global switch no longer causes an audible glitch
- Q-Link editing for insert effects on duplicated programs has been repaired
- TUI slideout lists' selection behavior has been refined
- When an MPC Live/X restarts after a loss of power, user is no longer told to consult the manual
- Audio Tracks Auto Warp setting is now available in Preferences
- Shift function no longer sticks after accessing update F-key in Preferences
Program Edit Drum
- Amp Envelope Decay From toggle has been correctly labelled on TUI
- Fixed an issue which caused Q-Links to edit the insert parameters of a duplicate pad's source from the duplicate's inserts
- Marker position adjustments made to several pads at once can be undone
Program Edit Keygroup
- Keygroup and KG Select fields can now display three figure numeric keypad entries
- KG Select parameter is no longer missing for keygroup programs
- In Program Edit, Velocity Start and End parameters can now be set to all values between 0-127 via Q-Links
- Keyboard To Filter parameter for keygroups now has correct label
- MPC X OLEDs now update correctly when resetting a channel strip
- OLED labels for drum and keygroup programs have been corrected
- OLEDs beneath VU Meter now truncate long program names correctly
- OLEDs no longer display OFF parameters
- On MPC Live, Q-Link focus for insert pages will now always appear on active parameters
- Program Edit's Velocity Start and End parameters have been correctly renamed for Q-Links
- Sample Edit parameter values now print to OLEDs when adjusted
- The Q-Link overlay now updates correctly when switching between inserts
- Double tapping the Shift button on a TUI keyboard no longer greys out the icon
- Fixed an issue where audio tracks would not display naming edits until the page was refreshed
- Sample Edit wave view no longer shifts position unexpectedly after using pinch-zoom gestures
- Fixed pop up message loop in the Sampler at high memory usage when recording time was set to maximum
- Sampler time value can no longer be adjusted via Q-Links while memory warning message is present
Saving and Loading
- An error message to inform users a save has failed due to lack of disk space has been added to the TUI
- At the launch screen, unavailable projects under 'Recent Projects' are now greyed out
- Auto Save no longer interrupts recording
- Explode Tracks now includes audio tracks
- File lists are now updated upon entering Browser Mode
- Pressing Play Start during playback no longer stops a MIDI clock slave's transport when MPC is also in an Ableton Link session
- Fixed a crash when using Undo on the insert parameter screen
- Undoing a tempo change during an Ableton Link session now returns the tempo display to the correct value in Main Mode