Rate this article
Article updated 07-06-2017
Note: The instructions in this article apply to a version of Pro Tools which is no longer available from Avid. While Pro Tools Express is no longer offered by Avid, these instructions may be helpful for customers who received this legacy software during the original offer period. Avid now offers a free version, Pro Tools | First, which has replaced Pro Tools Express. For more information about Pro |Tools First, visit http://www.avid.com/ptfirst.
Containing 4 routable inputs and outputs, the EIE Pro expands on the stereo inputs and outputs normally found on computer sound cards and external audio interfaces. This how-to guide will walk you through setting up all inputs and outputs for use in Pro Tools Express Akai/M-Audio Edition.
- Getting Started
- Recording Audio to a Track
- Creating a Master Fader
- Using All 4 Outputs at Once
- Warranty and Technical Support Information
- Connect the EIE Pro to your computer via USB and power it on. This guide relies on the assumption that the EIE Pro drivers have been properly installed on your system as well as Pro Tools Express Akai Professional/M-Audio Edition. The latest drivers can always be found on the EIE Pro product page on the Akai Professional website. If you need help installing Pro Tools Express, a detailed guide can be found here.
- Open Pro Tools Express and create a blank session.
- Go to SETUP > IO. This will display how your inputs and outputs are routed and named within Pro Tools. You are able to edit these parameters and save them for later use. The default settings for the EIE Pro should work fine for now. The input and output should look as follows -
Back to Top
Recording Audio to a Track
- Go to TRACK > NEW to create a new MONO AUDIO TRACK.
This will create a new track in your Edit window -
If you wish to rename the track, simply clicking on its current name will bring up a dialog box which allows you to change it.
- With your new track ready to go, switch to the Mix window by selecting WINDOW > MIX.
- Assign the input of your track by clicking on the input assignment under the I/O label on your channel strip.
- The input you select should correspond with what input you wish to record from. If your microphone/instrument is plugged into input 1 of the EIE Pro, then select IN 1 (MONO). If you are plugged into a different input then select the corresponding input within Pro Tools Express.
- Assign output of your track the clicking on the output assignment under the I/O label on your channel strip.
The output you select should correspond with what outputs you have your speakers connected to. In Pro Tools Express, you can assign the output to any of the EIE Pro's 4 outputs. For the purpose of this article, we will use output 1 and 2 which is labeled OUT 1-2 (STEREO).
- Arm your track by clicking on the dark red record button.
Once the track is armed you should be able to monitor your signal coming in from the EIE Pro. Adjust the channel gain on the EIE Pro hardware accordingly. Remember that you want a strong enough signal to minimize the noise floor, but not so strong as to introduce clipping and distortion to your audio signal.
- If you notice a delay between your input and output then you may need to adjust your buffer settings to reduce latency. Choose SETUP > HARDWARE.
Pressing the LAUNCH SETUP APP button will launch the EIE Pro Control Panel. From here you can adjust the audio latency settings.
NOTE: If you adjust these settings while Pro Tools Express is running, you may be prompted to close and re-open your session. Always make sure to save your work before doing this!
- On your transport, click the record ready button. When you're ready, hit the play button on the transport to begin recording.
- Hit the stop button to end the recording.
Back to Top
Creating a Master Fader
- Go to TRACK > NEW to create a STEREO MASTER FADER.
- Creating a Master Fader routes all of your track audio to one place. This allows you to add effects and processing to the whole mix as well as gives you one fader to control the overall volume of your session. It also makes it easy to dither your entire mix for playback
But what about the other outputs of the EIE Pro?
Back to Top
Using All 4 Outputs at Once
- Go to TRACK > NEW and create a second STEREO MASTER FADER. Set this Master Fader's output to OUT 3-4 (STEREO). Holding down ALT+WINDOWS (or CONTROL+OPTION on a Mac), select OUT 3-4 (STEREO). The output of your track should now have a "+" in front of it indicating that it is now sending its signal to more than 1 pair of outputs.
The signal should now be coming out of 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 simultaneously!
Back to Top
Warranty and Technical Support Information
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own an Akai Pro product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the Akai Pro technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.