Rate this article
Article updated 06-27-2017
The MAX49 with Apple's Logic Pro is a powerful and flexible production system. This guide outlines syncing the tempo and transport controls between the MAX49 and Logic, as well as one method of assigning the MAX49's touch faders to a parameter in Logic.
MAX49 Hardware Settings
- Connect the Akai MAX49 via USB cable directly to the computer.
- Choose the Logic preset on the MAX49. To do so:
- Press the PROGRAM button
- Turn the VALUE DIAL until the screen shows 7 Logic.
- Press in the VALUE DIAL (PUSH TO ENTER button) to load the Logic program.
- Press the GLOBAL button. Using the cursor arrows (below the value dial), move to the right until you reach the Clock Source page.
- Using the VALUE DIAL, change this parameter to EXTERNAL. Press in the VALUE DIAL to save this selection (EXTERNAL will continue to flash).
- Press the PROGRAM button to return to the main menu.
Logic Pro Sync and Transport Settings
- Open Logic and create a new session.
- From the top bar, click the Settings button and select Synchronization.
- In the Syncronization window, select the MIDI tab.
- In the MIDI Clock section, check the Destination 1 box and select Akai MAX49 Port A from the dropdown menu immediately below.
- In the MIDI Machine Control (MMC) section, check the Listen to MMC Input box.
- If you receive a pop-up labeled Set cycle pre-processing to 1/96?, select Change to 1/96.
Logic Pro MIDI Mapping
- From the top bar, select Preferences > Control Surfaces > Controller Assignments.
- In the Controller Assignments window, click the Learn Mode button at the bottom right corner.
- While Learn Mode is active, click and move any parameter in Logic you want to control (fader, pan, plugin controls). Next, slide your finger on the MAX49 touch fader you want to assign to that control. The parameter should begin to move with the fader.
- Repeat these steps for any other type of control you want to map. When you are finished, make sure to click Learn Mode again (so it is not a darker grey color).
Akai Technical Support & Warranty Service
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own an Akai Pro product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the Akai Pro technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.