The Akai Pro MPC Touch is truly a workflow revolution. It incorporates the ease of a touch screen right on the device for quicker production. This guide walks through how to get up and running and start making music quickly using the MPC Touch.
Where to download the Expansion plugins and other included software
Login into your account at https://www.akaipro.com/my-account , once you are login you able to see a list link like this:
Install the MPC Expansion Pack
- Once you download the sound set for your computer, extract the zip files. (If you are a Windows user and is unsure how to extract zip folder, click here).
- Once the folder is extracted, run the installer and follow the suggested steps in the installation wizard. For example:
- Click on the link for The 809 (PC) for Windows or the The 809 (Mac) for Mac.
- Once The 809 is extracted, then run the installation file to begin the install (.exe for Windows , .pkg for Mac).
Install and authorize the AIR Instruments
Air Instruments for MPC Touch are 3rd party plugins made my A.I.R Music Technology. The included AIR plugins plugins are:
- Hybrid 3
- Vacuum Pro
- Mini Grand
- The Riser
Follow the steps suggested by the installation wizard to install each AIR plugin.
Once installed, you will need to Authorize them. On a Mac, you will be prompted to authorize automatically. On a Windows PC, run the AIR Instruments for MPC icon that installed to your Desktop to begin the authorization.
- Once the authorizer window opens, choose Activate.
- To unlock the full version of your software, enter the Activation Code located in your user account.
- You may be required to enter your e-mail and/or create or login to an iLok account. Please follow the on-screen steps as needed.
Note: Your software utilizes PACE/iLok security measures to assist with anti-piracy. While a physical iLok is not necessary to use the plugin, the creation of an iLok account is required for activation.
- Finally, choose to store your new license on your computer or your iLok and the activation is complete.
How to use the Valut, EDM & Future House and Essentials Instruments Expansion Packs
Once the various expansion pack installations are complete, you will be ready to access the content into MPC software. Instrument expansion packs are programs that install samples, sequences and programs files in a folder that can be accessed directly from the MPC browser. You can customize the triggered sound from each MPC pad as long as your TRACK TYPE is set to DRUM.
- Open the MPC software.
- Choose the drop-down menu above the left column in the MPC software. You should be to select between the The Vault, the EDM & Future House, and the Essential Instruments. Choose one.
- Drag-and-drop a .WAV file to your pad of choice.
- Strike the pad with the assigned .WAV file to trigger the sound.
Adjusting Plugin Sources in the MPC Software
To use an AIR instrument plugin or any 3rd party plugin, follow the steps suggested below:
- Open the Preferences menu.
Mac: Select MPC > Preferences...or use the keyboard shortcut - [Command + comma]
Windows Select Edit > Preferences...or use the keyboard shortcut - [Control + comma)
- Choose the Plugins tab.
Add a check to the box at the beginning of one of the rows under the heading VST Folders, then click on the browse box at the end of that row to browse to your plugin installation location.
- The Air plugin can be found by default in the following locations:
32-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins\
64-bit: C:\Program Files\vstplugins
(AU): Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plugins > Components
(VST): Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plugins > VST
- Click on the drop-down menu to browse and then select the correct location of your plugin. Press Open.
- Click on Scan New and allow the MPC Software software to scan all plugins in the selected location and then press OK.
Accessing MPC Expansions/3rd Party Plugins
The Expansions cannot be accessed through the browser like the expansion packs can be. The wave files used for the MPC Expansions are formatted to work only with the Expansion plugin, so you’ll need to open that plugin.
Below are the steps to access your Plugins/Expansions. Next to the pad bank under the TRACK box, you can select which program is going to be the source of the selected track. For more information on Program Types see p.55 of the MPC manual under the help menu.
- In the Track box, under Type select Plugin.
- On the lower portion of that box you will see an option to choose your plugin.
- Click the Plugin drop down menu to open your available plugins.
- In this window you’ll see any plugins/expansions that you have available. For expansions, open MPC Expansions. For the VST/AU plugins open the respective VST/AU folder.
- Choose the plugin/expansion that you want to use by double clicking it. This will load this plugin/expansion into the selected track. You’ll see the name of the plugin/expansion displayed in the Plugin drop down menu.
- Next to the name of your plugin you’ll see a lowercase cursive “e”. Click the “e” button. This will open your plugin/expansion interface to allow for parameter changes of your sound. For expansions such as The 809, this will be where you can choose the sounds you want to use within the expansion.
Further Technical Support
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own an Akai Pro product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the Akai Pro technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.