Rate this article
Article updated 06-28-2017
The MPD232 is a MIDI-over-USB pad controller perfect for producers, programmers, musicians and DJ's alike. Its intuitive blend of MPC controls and technologies mesh with easy USB connectivity to bring the feel of classic beat making into the world of computer music production. Here is a guide to show you how to set this up with the included Ableton Live Lite software.
- MPD232 Hardware Setup
- Ableton Live 9 Lite Software Setup
- Virtual Instruments and Plugins
- Default Plugin Installation Locations
- Big Bang Cinematic Percussion Setup
- Further Technical Support
MPD 232 Hardware Setup
First, connect the Akai MPD232 series controller to an available USB port on your computer using the supplied cable and power the controller on.
- Press the PRESET button and use the data dial to scroll to Preset: 1 LiveLite. Press the PUSH TO ENTER knob.
Note: The presets, preset names, and order of presets may vary depending on the specific model.
- Press the GLOBAL button to enter the Global settings menu. Press the right arrow key until the display reads Clock Source: Use the rotary knob to select External.
- Hit the right arrow key until the display reads Save Globals. Press the PUSH TO ENTER knob to save the settings. The display will flash . When this is complete, the display will read .
- Press the PRESET button to return to the LiveLite preset screen.
Ableton Live 9 Lite Software Setup
- First, connect the Akai MPD232 series controller to an available USB port on your computer using the supplied cable, and launch Ableton Live 9 Lite.
- Next, open the Ableton Live 9 Lite Preferences window. Choose your Audio Device in the Audio tab. This will be dependent upon the audio interface that you are using.
Select Live > Preferences
or use the key command shortcut - [Command + comma]
Select Options > Preferences
or use the key command shortcut - [Control + comma]
Select the MIDI / Sync tab from the left side of the window. Within the MIDI Ports section, adjust the settings as suggested below:
Next to Input: MPD232, toggle On the button in the Track, Sync and Remote columns as shown in the image below.
Next to Output: MPD232, toggle On the button in the Track, Sync and Remote columns as shown in the image below.
- Next, at the top of the window under Control Surface, choose MPD232 from the drop-down list in row 1. Also, choose MPD232 from the Input and Output drop-down menus in row 1.
Virtual Instruments and Plugins
Note for Windows users only: If you have difficulty locating your plugin in your Plug-Ins category within Ableton Live 9 Lite, be sure Ableton Live 9 Lite is reading plugins from the correct location where your plugin is installed. To do this:
- Open the Preferences menu in Ableton Live 9 Lite
MAC:Select Live > Preferences or use the key command shortcut - [Command + comma]
PC:Select Options > Preferences or use the key command shortcut - [Control + comma]
- Choose the File Folder tab
- Under the heading Plug-In Sources:
Toggle On the button next to Use VST Plug-In Custom Folder
Note the location under VST Plug-In Custom Folder.
- If this location is not set correctly, next to VST Plug-In Custom Folder, choose Browse, browse to the correct folder, and press OK.
Default Plugin Installation Locations
SONiVOX Big Bang Cinematic Percussion Default Installation Locations:
32-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\SONiVOX\VstPlugins\
64-bit: C:\Program Files\vstplugins
(AU): Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plugins > Components
(VST): Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plugins > VST
Big Bang Cinematic Percussion Setup
- Press the PRESET button and use the data dial to scroll to Preset: 2 BigBang. Press the PUSH TO ENTER knob
- Within the Ableton Live 9 Lite Session View, under the Categories heading, choose Plug-Ins.
- In the right-hand column next to Categories, click-and-drag BigBang16Out_x64 onto a MIDI track to load Hybrid 3 into your Ableton Live 9 Lite session.
- The Big Bang Cinematic Percussion virtual instrument interface will now open.
Further product support
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own an Akai Pro product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the Akai Pro technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.