Akai AFX - Serato Flip Expansion Tutorial
Serato's Flip expansion pack is a great tool for those using Serato DJ 1.7.1 and later. With Serato Flip, you can record and play back triggered cue point information at any time during your set. Flip mode allows the ability to edit tracks, extend intros and outros, breakdowns, transitions, and even make beats. This article walks through how to use this feature with the Akai AFX.
- Serato Flip Features
- Before You Begin...
- Recording the Flip
- Saving Flip Banks/Pads
- Additional Resources
- Further Technical Support
Saving a Flip:
- Save up to 6 different Flips per track
- Serato Flip information is saved to the track's metadata
- Rename the Flip just like a cue point
- When you delete cue points in a song, the Flip information will still be remembered
Looping / Loop Snap:
- Looping: A Flip can loop back once or continuously.
- Loop Snap: A looped Flip will snap to an end-point on beat with your current track. You should utilize SYNC with this feature.
Control the Flip with your AFX or a third-party MIDI controller:
- Control the Flip directly from your AFX.
- The Flip controls are also MIDI mappable for use with a supported MIDI controller of your choice.
Utilizing Recall and Replay:
- Toggle the Flip ON or OFF.
- Start a Flip when loading a track or whenever you like
Purchase, unlock and install the Flip expansion pack. For more information, click here.
Next, connect a supported Serato DJ controller and your Akai AFX to your Serato DJ software. Ensure that each track you wish to use for Flip is fully analyzed and set to the beat grid. Fore more information on Preparing and Analyzing Your Files, click here. Also, set the cue points for the song that you wish to record the Flip with before recording the Flip. Once the cue points are set, follow the steps suggested below.
- First you will want to view the Flip Panel in Serato DJ. To do this, click the Flip tab at the top of the Serato DJ window. To initiate Flip recording process, press the RECORD button on the AFX for the deck of of your choice. The record button on the AFX and inside the Serato DJ Flip Panel will begin to blink, indicating it's ready to record.
- Trigger your first cue point. That will start the recording process. You'll notice in the software and on the AFX that the record button is now a solid red. The deck that you are recording the Flip with will be outlined red in the Serato DJ software.
- Once the Flip is complete, press the RECORD button to stop the recording. The deck with the recorded Flip with is now outlined in blue. This means that Serato is playing back the recorded Flip. Also, the ON and LOOP buttons are illuminated as the Flip is playing back.
- You can now save or re-record the Flip. To save, select one of the six available banks from the Serato Flip Expansion window and choose Save. You'll notice in the second image below that the Flip was saved in the fourth bank and renamed SAVED FLIP. Also, you can save your Flip from the hardware without touching the computer. See how here.
- To exit out of your recorded Flip, press the RECORD button twice.
- To delete a saved Flip, from your Flip Panel, click on the X next to your selected Flip that you wish to delete.
- To play back a saved Flip, highlight the Flip in the Flip Expansion window and then press MANUAL button twice from your AFX controller. You'll notice that the MANUAL button will continue to blink indicating that you're in the second mode of this button which is Flip Mode Pad Bank. See below to learn more about the features of this mode.
To access the Flip Mode Pad Bank, press the MANUAL button twice from your AFX controller. In this mode you can store and recall up to 6 saved flips.
- Clear (illuminated): The saved Flip is stored and ready to play. You can activate the saved Flip by pressing the pad.
- Green Color: A saved Flip is activated and playing back.
- No Color (not illuminated): Indicates an empty pad bank that can be used to store a future Flip.
- Red Color:
- Top Right Red Pad = Hold this pad and press a saved Flip pad to cycle on and off Loop mode for that Flip.
- Bottom Right Red Pad = Turns on and off Loop Snap mode.
Also, to stop play back from a saved Flip, simply hold SHIFT + the pad bank that is currently playing from the AFX controller. You can also use this feature to start play back too.
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own an Akai product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the Akai Pro technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.