Akai MPK mini mkII - Difficulty loading Wobble and Hybrid 3 in MPC Essentials
The Akai Pro MPK mini mkII includes a powerful software bundle featuring MPC Essentials, SONiVOX Wobble, and AIR Hybrid 3. We don't expect everyone to be an expert on organizing VST plugins, 32-bit vs. 64-bit, or the quirks of activating iLok licenses. This article confronts the most frequently faced problems when trying to activate and use the software that is included with your MPK mini mkII.
- Wobble and Hybrid 3 "Fail" during scan or do not show up in MPC Essentials
- Wobble and Hybrid 3 "Timeout" when scanning in the MPC Software
- MPC Essentials freezes or crashes while scanning plugins
- Further Support
If you've scanned your VST folders and still don't see SONiVOX Wobble or AIR Hybrid 3 in your plugin menu, don't panic. I bet you're running MPC Essentials on a Windows PC, right?
Both the Windows and Mac versions of MPC Essentials feature both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. On a Mac, both versions are launched via the same application and can be switched in the Application Info window (right-click on MPC Essentials in your Applications Folder and choose ?Get Info). On a Windows PC, there are two separate executable files:
- MPC Essentials (32-bit)
- MPC Essentials (64-bit)
If you're just starting out, We recommend using the 64-bit version of MPC Essentials. If you've been working with digital audio for a long time and have older plugins you want to use in MPC Essentials, you may want to choose 32-bit (or update your old plugins!)
The key is to make sure MPC Essentials is scanning the correct VST folder(s). On a Mac, they will be installed to the same folder and selected automatically for you in the MPC Software. On Windows, the default install location for AIR Hybrid 3 is:
The default install location for both 32 and 64-bit Sonivox Wobble is:
For the best results, you may want to consider installing the Sonivox Wobble plugin to the same folder as Hybrid. Having a single folder to house all of your plugin files is common practice and easy way to remember where they've been installed. After doing this, you will only need to choose a single folder and your Plugin Preferneces should look something like this:
Scan again and you should be all set! If you're still having difficulty just contact Akai Pro Support for further assistance.
Does the screenshot below look familiar?
After installing SONiVOX Wobble and AIR Hybrid 3, both plugins need to be activated. If you scan your VST folders in MPC Essentials before Wobble and Hybrid 3 have been activated, you will be prompted to activate during the scan. This works fine most of the time, but if you take too long to enter the correct code, the activation may "Timeout" and the loading of the plugin will fail. If you're seeing the above errors, here's an alternate method you can use to activate both Wobble and Hybrid 3:
- Find and open the iLok License Manager from your Programs or Applications folder.
- Click on Sign-In in the top left corner. If you have used iLok before with other products and have an account, sign-in to your account. If you have never seen or used iLok before, click on Create New Account in the Sign In window and follow the prompts to create an account.Please note: We recommend using an iLok account. Signing in is not always necessary to utilize an iLok license, but having and using an account to keep track of your licenses is free and provides additional features and options for managing and moving your licenses when necessary. You can see our Managing Authorization Codes and Licenses guide for more information.
- Once you are logged in, click on Licenses at the top of the window and choose Redeem Activation Code.
- A window will appear with space for you to enter an authorization code.
- Navigate to your Akai Pro account page, highlight and copy the Authorization Code for Hybrid. Paste this code into the first box on the left and the code will fill out the remaining fields. When you're ready, click Next.
- You will be prompted to choose a location for your license. You are free to choose an iLok dongle if you have one, but for most users, just choose your computer (this will be the option with the computer icon on the left) and click Activate.
- You will be asked to confirm this one more time. Click OK.
- Finally, iLok will notify you when the activation is complete!
This process (steps 3 - 8) can be repeated for any other plugins that utilize an iLok license, including Wobble.
NOTE: If you've attempted to activate your plugins too many times while scanning in MPC Essentials and receive an error that states your redemption limit has been reached, you may need a new activation code. Please contact Akai Pro support by submitting a request for Software Authorization Assistance and our team will be happy to help.
During the scanning process, incompatible or cracked plugins may cause MPC Essentials to stop functioning. If you experience crashes or instances of freezing while scanning your plugins, check the following -
- Try putting your 32-bit and 64-bit plugins in separate folders and only scanning those which correspond to the version of MPC Essentials you are using. If you're using the 64-bit version of MPC Essentials, don't scan your 32-bit folder and vice versa. For example, a 32-bit plugin will fail the scan in 64-bit MPC Essentials.
- Don't use cracked plugins. Aside from being illegal, cracked plugins can be unstable and cause failures in your software. Cracked plugins can freeze during the scanning process, allocate system resources improperly, and cause unexpected results during use.
- If using Windows 10, especially on a touch screen laptop, you may want to check the display settings. Display scaling, specifically the enlargement of text, can cause some software to behave strangely. For the best results, set your display scaling to 100% and change it back after you're plugins have completed the scan:
- Navigate to the Windows Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Display
- Select Adjust Resolution
- Select Make text and other items larger or smaller
- Choose "set a custom scaling level" and change this to 100%
- Log our of your account, then back in
- Open MPC Essentials and rescan your plugins
Didn't find what you're looking for? Check out our other MPK mini mkII related guides -
- Akai Pro MPK mini mkII Training
- Akai Pro MPK mini mkII - How to Download, Install, and Setup the Included Software
- Akai Pro MPK mini mkII - Downloading, Installing and Using the Sample Content
- Akai Pro MPK mini mkII - Installation Troubleshooting Guide
- Akai Pro MPK mini mkII - How to use the Editor
- Optimizing Your System, Improving Performance and Managing Latency
- Troubleshooting Class Compliant USB Computer Peripherals
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own an Akai Pro product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the Akai Pro technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.