Akai Pro MPC X and LIVE - Downloading and Installing the MPC 2.0 Software
Now that you have your MPC X/Live, you're probably wondering how to retrieve and install your included software. Both the MPC X and MPC Live are capable of interfacing with your computer to utilize the full power of the MPC 2.0 Software. This guide will discuss the process of obtaining, installing and setting up your MPC hardware in controller mode.
- Creating an Account
- Registering your Product
- Creating an iLok Account and Authorizing MPC 2.0
- Downloading & Installing the MPC 2.0 Software
- Installing the MPC X/Live Driver
- Downloading & Installing the Included Sound Content
- Connecting your MPC Hardware in Controller Mode
- Accessing and Loading MPC Expansions
- What's Next?
- Further Technical Support
1. Launch your web browser and go to www.akaipro.com.
2. Go to the top right-hand corner of the web site and click on Sign In, you will be prompted to a new page to either Create a New Account or Sign In.
3. If you are a new customer, click on Create an account or Sign In if you are a previous customer.
Fill out the necessary information to register as a new user and click Create Account. The minimum length of the password must be equal or greater than 8 symbols.
4. You have successfully made an account! Click on your name at the top right-hand corner of the website and you will see a drop-down menu. Select My Account.
Once you have created an account, you can register your MPC X/Live and receive access to your included software and content.
1. On the left-hand side of your Account page you should see My Dashboard. Go to the bottom of this section and select My Registered Products.
2. This is where you register your new Akai controller. Please make sure that you are entering the complete serial number as it appears on the bottom or back of your product. The serial number will be located on a bar code and will begin with a “(21).”Please be sure to include the “(21)” when entering your serial number. Neglecting the "(21)" and failing to capitalize the "A" will result in a rejected serial number. If you are entering the parentheses around the (21) and the product is still not registering, try clearing the cache in your web browser and try again. Select Register Product to complete registration.
3. You have successfully registered your MPC! All of your registered products will show up under Product Registrations. Scroll down in your Registration Page to see all of your available Software Downloads.
Before downloading MPC 2.0, let's authorize and activate your MPC license. This video will walk you through the entire redemption and activation process using the iLok License Manager.
This process can be repeated for any other plugins that utilize an iLok license like the AIR and SONiVOX plugins that come bundled with your MPC Hardware!
After registering your MPC X/Live, you will be presented with the authorization code and download link for the MPC 2.0 Software. You can access this download link and license at any time by going to Account > My Registered Products. Scroll down to Software Downloads to download MPC 2.0:
1. Select MPC 2.6 (PC) or MPC 2.6 (Mac) depending on your operating system. This will download as a file called MPC-v2.6.
2. If you are a Windows user, be sure to extract the file before installing. To do this, right-click on the MPC - v2.6 Windows in your download folder and select Extract All.
By default, the program that is used to unzip files on your computer should be Windows Explorer.
Follow this link for additional information on how to extract files on Windows operating systems:
3. By default, the extracted file will save to your Download folder. Enable Show extracted files when complete to immediately access the unzipped contents.
4. After the file is extracted, select Install MPC.
5. Select the MPC hardware you are using from the available icons. The installer will walk you through what drivers need to be installed for your hardware. Items that still need to be installed will be indicated with a red down-pointed arrow as seen in the image below. A green checkmark will indicate that the driver or software has been successfully installed.
6. Click on Install MPC Software and follow all of the prompts to proceed with the installation. A pop-up window will appear warning that 32-bit versions are no longer provided. If you are operating a 64-bit system, proceed with the installation by clicking OK.
7. When the software installation is complete you will see a green checkmark next to MPC Software.
After successfully installing the MPC Software, continue with installing the MPC X/Live driver. This driver is necessary for connecting your MPC in controller mode, updating the firmware or exporting content to and from your computer for use in standalone.
1. Click on Install MPC X/Live driver and follow the onscreen prompts. A pop-up message will appear instructing you to reboot the computer after installing the MPC X/Live driver. Click OK to continue with the installation.
2. After the installer completes, reboot your computer.
Congratulations, you have successfully installed the MPC Software and hardware driver! Before launching MPC, let's install your included sound content.
The MPC X/Live come with 10GB of internal sound content. For seamless integration with the MPC 2.0 Software, these same Expansion packs and plugins are made available in your Akai account for direct download. Let's get started!
1. Sign in to your account at the Akai web site. On the left-hand side of your Account page you should see My Dashboard. Go to the bottom of this section and select My Registered Products.
2. Scroll down to Software Downloads.
3. You'll notice that there is quite a lot of included content. It is recommended to run a single installer at a time to avoid complications so take your time with it! For reference here's a list of all the included content:
- MPC 2.6 Which you have already installed!
- Essential Sound Libraries: The Vault 2.0, Clip Launch Pack, Essential Instruments 2, Demo Projects, Deep House, Drums N Bass, EDM & Future House, Tech House and Techno.
- AIR Virtual Instruments: Loom, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand!2, Mini Grand, DB-33, theRiser and AIR FX Collection Classic.
- SONiVOX Virtual Instruments: Session Drums.
- Legacy Expansions: The Bank, The 809, The Noise, The Wub and Hybrid 3. *Keep in mind that these are actually plugin expansions and will not appear in MPC's Expansion Browser. You can access these sound sets through the Plugin Browser instead.
4. Starting with the Essential Sound Library, click on the appropriate file for your operating system to download the installer. For this example, we will be using The Vault 2.0.
5. After the download is complete, PC users will need to extract the files before installation. To do this, open your Downloads folder double-click on the zip folder. Select Extract All.
6. Enable Show extracted files when completed and click Extract.
7. Once the file has extracted, double-click on the Setup Application. Follow the prompts to proceed with the installation.
8. The installer will notify you when the process is complete.
9. Repeat Steps 4 through 8 for the remaining Essential Sound Library and the Legacy Expansions. Upon completion, the MPC Expansions are automatically loaded into MPC 2.0's Browser.
10. For additional information about installing and authorizing the included plugins, refer to this helpful guide:
Now that your MPC Expansions are installed, let's connect your MPC X/Live!
Before connecting your MPC X/Live in controller mode, ensure that your hardware is running the same firmware version as the MPC Software. Verify this by pressing the Menu button and tapping the gear icon. The firmware version will be displayed on the Info tab. If you need to update your firmware to the latest version, refer to this helpful article for assistance.
1. With your firmware up to date, power on your MPC and use the included USB 3.0 cable to connect to an available USB port on your computer. Make sure to use this cable specifically otherwise, the MPC hardware will not successfully connect to your computer.
2. Press the Menu button and tap the MPC microchip icon on the top-right hand side of the screen (displayed below).
3. Your MPC will ask if you want to enter controller mode, or cancel and go back to standalone mode. Press Controller Mode.
4. The MPC's display will indicate that it is "Looking for Computer". Now, launch the MPC Software.
5. MPC will prompt you to make changes to your Audio Preferences. Open the Audio Preferences window and select the MPC X/Live as your Audio Input and Output Device.
6. Open MIDI Preferences next and enable MPC X/Live Public as your Active MIDI Input.
Congratulations, you're ready to make some beats! You can view your Expansions by pressing the Browser button on your MPC X/Live. Tap the Expansion tab and select a pack icon. You'll see the contents displayed on the right. Double-tap samples or kits to add them to your Sample Pool.
You can also access your MPC Expansions from the software as well. Click on the Expansion Browser at the bottom right or press "B" on your keyboard.
1. The Expansion Browser will appear at the top right of the software. Click on the thumbnail picture of your Expansion to view its contents. You can search the Browser by Programs, Projects, Sequences or Samples via the corresponding filter buttons.
2. Load a sample or kit by double-clicking the file name or by dragging and dropping it directly on to the MPC pads.
- Akai Pro MPC 2.0 - Managing your iLok Licenses
- Akai Pro MPC X and Live - Installing and Accessing the Included Plugins
- Akai Pro MPC Live and X - Exporting Expansions from the MPC Software
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own an Akai Pro product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the Akai Pro technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.