Akai Pro MPC X and MPC Live – Firmware Update 2.1 Walkthrough
In this video, we walk through the process of updating the firmware on an MPC X and MPC Live to the latest 2.1 update. This includes where to download, how to connect the MPC, and how to run the firmware updater.
- Update Release Notes
- Downloading the Update
- Preparing for the Update
- Updating the Firmware
- Further Technical Support
Important: This update is required for complete compatibility with the MPC 2.1 desktop software. Some new features are synonymous with the desktop software and will not work together unless both the software and firmware are updated.
The 2.1 Update for the MPC X and MPC Live contains the following updates:
- Compatibility with Export Expansion packs feature in MPC software. Allows for easy exporting of MPC expansions to a standalone MPC Live/X.
- Browse Expansions from TUI in standalone Browser Mode.
- Standalone MPC Live or X will now load user progressions.
- Relative or Absolute options for snap.
- Pitch Quantize - force the pitches of notes in a track to a scale of your choice.
- Faster attack for Drum and Keygroup amplifier envelopes.
- Metronome can now be assigned to mono output in standalone and software.
- Cut, copy, and paste event selections in Grid Edit and Audio Edit modes.
- Q-link mode is now saved and recalled with a project.
Stability and Reliability Improvements
- Improvements to MIDI I/O including reduced clock 'jitter' (from +/-11ms to +/- 5ms) and reduced potential for drift when sending MIDI Clock, MTC, and MIDI note out.
- New Program and Audio track naming convention to prevent identical names across two track types.
- MPC now supports macOS 10.13 case-sensitive file systems.
- and more!
For a comprehensive list of new features and improvements, please see the complete release notes here.
To download the 2.1 Firmware Update, navigate to the MPX or MPC Live product page and click on Downloads to find the Mac and PC download links:
Before updating any firmware on any operating system, it's important to take the following precautions:
- Ensure the MPC Live and MPC X are connected securely to a power source before updating. The MPC Live will not be able to be updated while running on battery power.
- Connect the MPC directly to a USB port on your computer. Avoid using any USB hubs, adapters, extenders or long USB cables to prevent any lost data during the update.
- Disconnect all other USB/MIDI devices from the computer.
- Unplug any MIDI cables plugged into the MIDI ports on the module.
- Make sure that the downloaded firmware update is properly unzipped or extracted before installing the updater.
- Close all other software running on the computer.
In general, the MPC should have a consistent and working connection to your computer. If you are experiencing any of the symptoms like the ones listed below, do NOT attempt to update the firmware in order to remedy this.
- Doesn't connect to a computer
- Doesn't communicate with software at all
- Latency/delay in playback or any audio playback related issues
- Unexpected messages or graphics on the display
- Unit will not power on or powers off intermittently
If you experience any trouble with this, please contact our support team before continuing with the update.
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own an Akai Pro product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the Akai Pro technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.