Akai Pro MPC X and MPC Live - Firmware Update 2.6 Walkthrough
In this guide, we show you how to download and install the massive new v2.6 update for your MPC X and Live. This includes where to download and how to run the update, as well as all the great new features you can expect on the other side.
- Update Release Notes
- Downloading the Update
- Updating with a USB Drive
- Updating with a Windows or macOS
- Tutorial Links
- Further Technical Support
The new MPC 2.6 Software and Firmware update adds a host of new features:
- Step Automation - You can now input, edit and view automation in the Step Sequencer. Press the Menu button and choose Step Sequencer.
- Grid Automation - You can now input, edit and view automation in Grid Edit and Audio Edit.
- Ableton Live Set Export - You can now export the current MPC sequence to an Ableton ALS project file.
- Workflow Enhancements -
- In Sample Record mode, after recording a sample the Keep or Discard Sample popup now has f-keys to Save or Edit your sample.
- Within the Sequence Edit, Copy Events popup you can now copy the events from individual or multiple notes. Tap the pads that correspond to the events you want to copy, the Pads turn red and the Pads field now changes from All to display your selected pads.
- To make it easier to navigate your internal Akai/AIR effects they are now split into well-named groups.
- TC can now be applied to all tracks. Open the TC popup and use the All Track f-key to apply the current TC settings to all MIDI tracks.
- From within the Sequence Edit > Copy Sequence and Track Edit > Copy Track popups you can now rename the destination sequence/track.
- The Mode Menu icons have been refreshed to improve their visual clarity.
- In the desktop software, AIR Mini Grand now has a custom TUI layout in Program Edit.
- Stability and reliability Enhancements - 16 Level, Audio Device, Audio Tracks, Audio Edit, Automation, Channel Mixer, Grid Edit, File Browser, Installer, List Editor, MIDI Sync, Plugin Hosting Effects, Plugin Hosting – Instruments, Preferences, Program Edit, Program Edit - Plugin/MIDI, Program Edit – Clip, Program Edit – CV, Q-Links, Sample Edit, Sample Record, Saving and Loading, Song Mode, Step Sequence, Track Mute, Transport, Undo/Redo, and XYFX.
For additional information on the features of the 2.6 update, please see the video at the beginning of this article or the link below:
To download a Firmware Update, navigate to the MPX or MPC Live product page and click on Downloads to find the v2.6 Mac, PC, and USB Update Image download links:
What you'll need before updating...
- MPC X or MPC Live with Firmware 2.1 or later installed. Note: If you are running an earlier FW version than 2.1, you will have to use your PC or Mac to execute the update.
- A USB drive with at least 1GB of free space. The drive must be formatted correctly to be recognized by the MPC X or MPC Live. See our guide here for more instructions.
- Computer with internet access to download the MPC 2.6 firmware update and store it on the USB drive.
Before updating any firmware on any operating system, it's important to take the following precautions:
- Ensure the MPC Live and MPC X are connected securely to a power source before updating. The MPC Live will not be able to be updated while running on battery power.
- Connect the MPC directly to a USB port on your computer. Avoid using any USB hubs, adapters, extenders or long USB cables to prevent any lost data during the update.
- Disconnect all other USB/MIDI devices from the computer.
- Unplug any MIDI cables plugged into the MIDI ports on the module.
- Make sure that the downloaded firmware update is properly unzipped or extracted before installing the updater.
- Close all other software running on the computer.
In general, the MPC should have a consistent and working connection to your computer. If you are experiencing any problems connecting to the computer, do NOT attempt to update the firmware in order to remedy this. Please contact our support team before continuing with the update.
Please follow the links below for step by step tutorials on some of the new features in the 2.6 firmware update:
- Ableton Live Set Export
- Using Step Automation with TrapSoul Beats
- Step & Grid Automation with MPC Software
- Using Subgroups in MPC Firmware Update 2.6
- A Closer Look | Grid Automation Step Automation with Electronic Beats
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own an Akai Pro product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the Akai Pro technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.