Akai Pro MPC X, MPC Live, and MPC One - Firmware Update 2.8 Walkthrough
With the MPC 2.8 Firmware Update, simultaneously connect and route all the MIDI gear in your studio including class compliant USB Keyboards, MIDI interfaces and USB to CV modules, supercharging your I/O capability. Fuse this with deep internal MIDI routing capability across tracks, comprehensive MIDI routing to any MIDI compatible synthesizer, drum machine or sound module, and even multitrack recording capability, and MPC forms the beating heart of any production setup, unleashing the true power of all your gear.
In this guide, we show you how to download and install the new 2.8 update for your MPC X, Live or One. This includes where to download and how to run the update.
- Update Release Notes
- Downloading the Update
- Updating with a USB Drive
- Updating with a Windows or macOS
- What's Next
- Further Technical Support
- MIDI Multi Capability
- Internal MIDI Routing
- Q-Link Overlay
- Retrospective Record
- Multitrack Recording
- Custom Note Mappings
MPC 2.8 Firmware Update Overview
To download the Firmware Update, navigate to the MPC X, MPC Live, or MPC One product page and click on the Downloads tab. You'll find download links for the Firmware Updater for Mac, PC, and USB.
The Firmware Update will also be made available in your Akai account under the Software Download section in My Registered Products.
What you'll need before updating...
- If you have an MPC X or MPC Live, Firmware v2.1 or later must be currently installed. Note: If you are running an earlier FW version than 2.1, you will have to use your PC or Mac to execute the update.
- A USB drive with at least 1GB of free space. The drive must be formatted correctly to be recognized by the MPC. See our guide here for more instructions.
- Computer with internet access to download the MPC 2.8 Firmware Update and store it on the USB drive.
Before updating any firmware on any operating system, it's important to take the following precautions:
- Ensure that the MPC is connected securely to a power source before updating. The MPC Live will not be able to be updated while running on battery power.
- Connect the MPC directly to a USB port on your computer. Avoid using any USB hubs, adapters, extenders or long USB cables to prevent any lost data during the update.
- Disconnect all other USB/MIDI devices from the computer.
- Unplug any MIDI cables plugged into the MIDI ports on the module.
- Make sure that the downloaded firmware update is properly unzipped or extracted before installing the updater.
- Close all other software running on the computer.
In general, the MPC should have a consistent and working connection to your computer. If you are experiencing any problems connecting to the computer, do NOT attempt to update the firmware in order to remedy this. Please contact our support team before continuing with the update.
- MPC 2.8: Configuring MIDI Multi
- MPC 2.8: Routing Internal MIDI Between Tracks
- MPC 2.8: Retrospective Record
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own an Akai Pro product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the Akai Pro technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.