MPC 2.4 Desktop Software and Firmware Update
This is a firmware and software update.
The MPC 2.4 desktop software includes MIDI maps for popular Ableton, Arturia, Korg, M-Audio and Native Instruments controllers.
Downloading the Update
To download the MPC 2.4 Desktop Software Update, log into your Akai Pro user account or through MPC 2.3 when prompted. For instructions on installing the update, please visit our knowledge base article here.
This release is for MPC X and MPC Live hardware.
Downloading the Update
To download the 2.4 Firmware Update, navigate to the MPC X or MPC Live product page and click on Downloads to find the Mac and PC download links:
For instructions on installing the update, please visit our knowledge base article here.
The MPC standalone now includes the MPC AIR FX bundle comprising 28 effects written by the DSP gurus at AIR Music Technology. The original AIR Creative FX collection has been included as part of Pro Tools® since Version 8 and is considered the reference FX suite by some of the world’s most respected audio professionals. These same effects from Pro Tools have been ported to MPC so you can use them in your standalone or desktop MPC software. The range of effects have also be greatly expanded to include ten new plugins including the AIR Channel Strip and AIR Transient. Each effect has been expertly designed with ease of use in mind and the stunning new TUI layouts take using effects inside MPC to a whole new level.
16 Classic FX from Pro Tools are now available in your standalone MPC:
Instantly adds color to your audio signal with various types and varying amounts of distortion.
Enhances the low and high broadband frequencies of an audio signal.
Lets you apply fluid, shimmering modulation effects to the audio signal.
AIR Filter Gate:
Highly acclaimed plug-in that you can use to chop up an audio signal into staccato rhythmic patterns with variable filtering, amplitude, and panning.
Lets you apply a short modulating delay to the audio signal.
AIR Freq Shift:
Use the Frequency Shifter plug-in to shift the audio signal's individual frequencies, creating a unique effect.
Lets you add color to an audio signal with various types and varying amounts of transistor-like distortion.
AIR Kill EQ:
Use the Kill EQ plug-in to zap out the Low, Mid or High broadband frequency range from an audio signal. This is a popular effect with DJs and is commonly used in electronic music production (especially in dance music).
Plug-in that you can use to bit-crush, down-sample, clip, rectify, and mangle an input signal.
Plug-in that lets you apply a thick, complex Chorus effect to an audio signal.
AIR Non-Linear Reverb:
Use the Non-Linear Reverb plug-in to apply special gated or reversed Reverb effects to the audio signal, creating a synthetic, processed ambience.
Applies a phaser to an audio signal for that wonderful"wooshy," "squishy" sound.
Use the Reverb effect to apply Reverb to the audio signal, creating a sense of room or space. Typically, you'll want to use Reverb on one of the Effect Send inserts or Main Effects inserts.
AIR Spring Reverb:
Use the Spring Reverb plug-in for that classic spring reverb sound. Just don't kick your computer trying to get the springs to rattle! The Spring Reverb plug-in models an analog spring reverb. An analog spring reverb is an electromechanical device much like a plate reverb.
AIR Stereo Width:
Plug-in that you can use to create a wider stereo presence.
Plug-in that lets you add voice-like resonances to audio signals.
12 all new plugins:
AIR Channel Strip:
Specially written for MPC this channel strip combines multiple sections with a super fast interface for getting incredible results. The equalisation section features a high pass filter, low shelf, high shelf, and a fully parametric mid band. The dynamics section includes AIR compressor and gate algorithms which are perfect for achieving hard hitting drum sounds.
Compressor changes the dynamic range of a signal by automatically reducing its gain if it exceeds a certain level (the threshold).
A classic stereo delay, the feedback path has a filter within it to shape the tonality of the repeats. The Ratio and Width parameters enable you to a achieve a wide range of stereo delay effects.
AIR Diff Delay:
Delay line effect that is synchronized to your session tempo and uses an adjustable amount of diffusion, thus emulating the dissipation of echoes in reverberant space.
Filter applies a filter to an incoming audio signal and then applies a selectable type of distortion, reduction, etc to that filtered signal.
Maximizer is a limiter optimized for professional mastering.
AIR Noise Gate:
A classic gate effect. Use the dedicated denoise section to achieve a smoother gate effect with less audible chatter.
AIR Para EQ:
Four-band parametric equalizer with four independent EQ ranges.
AIR Pitch Shifter:
Transpose the pitch of your incoming audio, a range of pitch shifting algorithms gives you a variety of flavours to experiment with.
Pumper creates a rhythmic pumping effect, similar to that of sidechain compression, with an assignable speed, depth and envelope shape.
Take control of your dynamics with an interface that’s fast and simple to use. Add more attack to your drum sounds, reduce the level of reverb or increase the sustain level a bass guitar.
AIR Tube Drive:
Tube Drive emulates the sound of the signal being played through a mildly “overdriven” tube amp, creating a warm, smooth-sounding distortion.
You can now achieve Side chain ducking effects in the MPC standalone or desktop software using the new Mother Ducker and Mother Ducker Input effects plugins. To achieve a ducking effect on a synthesiser part using a kick drum as a trigger input : On a drum program go to the pad mixer and on the mixer strip for the kick drum add the Mother Ducker Input. Next go to the channel mixer and add the Mother Ducker to one of your Plugin instrument program channel strips. The Mother Ducker Input sends the kick drum down one of the Mother Ducker’s internal buses to the Mother Ducker plugin. Within the Mother Ducker plugin you can meter the input level from the kick drum and tweak the amount of ducking using the threshold and ratio parameters. The Attack and Release parameters allow you to sculpt the envelope of the gain reduction to achieve exactly the pumping effect you are after. The Mother Ducker has eight internal buses so that you can setup multiple channel strips with ducking effects on from different sources.
Clip Programs internal architecture has been significantly improved so that you can now play up to 16 programs simultaneously. Now when changing tracks or changing sequence your clips will continue to play allowing you to incorporate them seamlessly into a live performance.
Next Sequence mode now remembers the next sequence change when leaving the mode
Holding Shift and pressing the hardware Stop button returns the playhead to the beginning of the timeline.
You can now Load FLAC and OGG files into both the desktop and standalone MPC.
You can now Export FLAC and OGG files in both the desktop and standalone MPC.
The desktop software now contains stunning new TUI layouts for the AIR instruments Hybrid, Loom, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand!2, theRiser.
Stability and reliability
- Changing region fade settings with the data dial is now faster
- Program automation should no longer cause audible glitch
- User expansions can now be removed when the expansion is deselected
- Exporting with no audio device is now possible
- Format no longer fails when a target HFS+ or NTFS drive name exceeds 15 characters
- Pad key shortcuts are now listed correctly
- Sequence audio no longer cuts out after changing back from other sequence
- Rapidly changing sequence using MPC Renaissance or Studio data dial no longer causes a crash
- Set All no longer persists when changing pads within the same bank
- Velocity will now vary with pad pressure for MIDI programs
- Enabling Note Repeat will now trigger a note-off message
- Pad Perform GUI pads now display correct note values
Plugin Hosting - Effects
- Insert effect bypass states are now syncronized across user interfaces
- Adjusting the parameters of third party plugin effects should no longer crash the software when using MPC Renaissance or Studio devices
- Internal Akai insert effect memory usage has been refined
Plugin Hosting - Instruments
- Selecting Hybrid will no longer crash MPC in Windows when certain audio devices are selected
- Amp Decay can now be adjusted live in Bassline and Electric
- Sustain messages should now hold notes as expected for all included instruments
- Tubesynth no longer crashes when parameters are set to certain values
- Plugin scanning timeout has been increased to 5 minutes
- Text entry overlay no longer displays unusable characters
- MIDI CC parameters no longer jump to 0 when using Q-Links
- Changing the Note Mapping of sequences made before Note Mapping was edited, visually updates the sequence correctly
- Notes are no longer missed when sample layer’s offset is set to -1Setting a layer’s offset to -320 no longer shortens the playback of its sample
- Sample layers with a negative offset values that are divisible by 64 are no longer cut short or muted
- Momentary Q-Link behaviour is now functional with continuous parameter values
Saving and Loading
- Unpacking a large .xpa to a USB drive no longer causes loss of touchscreen connectivity
- Repeatedly creating new projects with the key command will no longer cause a hang
- Error Saving Sample dialogue now displays the filename the user entered
- In Sample Edit Program Mode there is now a 'To All' F-key on the Touch User Interface
- Changing from a sample to ‘none’ and back now retains the start and end markers
- Auto Sampler output files will now adhere the Bit Depth set in Preferences
- SAMPLE button (F1) is now automatically selected after using the Auto Sampler
- Solo no longer stays engaged in when turned off in the mixer
- Long samples are no longer cut off after a measure when Instant Track Mute preference is on
- Unmuting with Instant Track Mute preference on no longer stops the event
- Cancelling a sample duplication no longer produces a misnamed duplicate
- Keyboard shortcuts no longer allow illegal actions
- Inserting bars of a different time signature now shows the correct BBP data
- Now able to undo a track renaming action from the TUI
- Warped and crossfaded samples no longer click