MPC 2.6 Desktop Software and Firmware Update
This is a firmware and software update.
The MPC 2.6 desktop software includes MIDI maps for popular Ableton, Arturia, Korg, M-Audio and Native Instruments controllers.
Downloading the Update
To download the MPC 2.6 Desktop Software Update, log into your Akai Pro user account or through MPC 2.5 when prompted. For instructions on installing the update, please visit our knowledge base article here.
This release is for MPC X and MPC Live hardware.
Downloading the Update
To download the 2.6 Firmware Update, navigate to the MPC X or MPC Live product page and click on Downloads to find the Mac and PC download links:
For instructions on installing the update, please visit our knowledge base article here.
You can now input, edit and view automation in the Step Sequencer. Press the Menu button and choose Step Sequencer :
- By default the Step Sequencers Parameter field displays Velocity, however you can now change this field to display any of the parameters that have been automated on the current track. Double tap the Parameter field to bring up its drop down menu. From the drop down menu choose an existing automation parameter, or use the Add New option then select a parameter to create an empty automation lane. You can now freely draw in automation using a touch drag gesture.
- The Step Sequencer’s Q-Link Screen mode emulates a traditional knob based step sequencer giving you tactile control of each step’s automation value.
- As you adjust a step via the TUI or a Q-Link the value of the step is displayed in the top right hand corner of the Parameter field.
- Hold Shift and push the ‘Clear Auto’ f-key to clear the current automation parameters events.
- Hold Shift and push the ‘Clear Bar’ f-key to clear the current automation parameters events within the current bar.
- Use the Slider on the right hand side of the Step Sequencer to increase or decrease the automation steps for the visible time range.
- You can now input preset shapes such as saw or triangle waveforms into the step sequencer’s automation view. For any automation parameter draw in some automation using a touch drag gesture. Next, press the Presets button and push one of the Saw, Square, or Triangle buttons to quickly transform the existing automation to the shape of the preset. Pushing a preset button multiple times will cycle through faster variations of the shape. Beneath the preset shapes are two further buttons, the >I< button will flip the automation events within the current bar. The Up I Down button will invert the values of the different steps within the current bar.
- Nudge the events for the current automation parameter left or right using the < Nudge > buttons. The Nudge operation is performed at the current TC value.
You can now input, edit and view automation in Grid Edit and Audio Edit.
- On a MIDI track tap the up arrow on the Parameter Bar to display the Velocity/Automation lane. By default the Velocity/Automation lane displays Velocity, however you can now change this field to display any of the parameters that have been automated on the current track. Double tap the Parameter field to bring up its drop down menu. From the drop down menu choose an existing automation parameter or use the Add New option, then select a parameter to create an empty automation lane. You can now freely draw in automation using the Pencil tool.
- Use the Pencil tool to draw in a single automation event by touching inside the automation lane, draw in multiple automation events using a touch drag gesture.
- Use the Eraser tool to erase a single automation event by touching the event, erase multiple automation events using a touch drag gesture.
From within the Erase popup you can now erase a single automation parameter's events. When the sequencer is stopped press the Erase button to bring up the Erase Popup. Go to type Automation, by default the field is set to All. Double tap the field to display the list of parameters that have been automated on the current track, choose the parameter you want to erase and press the Do It f-key to complete the operation.
Ableton Live Set Export - you can now export the current MPC sequence to an Ableton ALS project file. From Main Mode on the TUI go to the toolbar and press the Folder icon, from the popup press the Ableton Live Set f-key. When using Plugin, Drum or Keygroup tracks you can choose to render those tracks as Audio to preserve the sound of the instruments or render them as MIDI. You can also bypass volume, pan and insert effects and set Audio Tail, Bit Depth, and Sample Rate.
The MPC X and Live’s Channel Mixer now contains eight submixes instandalone mode. To assign a track to a submix, go to the Channel Mixer mode, then double tap the Output combo box of a Program strip, from the drop down menu choose Sub 1-8. To add an effect to a Submix or adjust its level or pan go to the Channel Mixer toolbar and set the Mixer field to Submixes now use the mixer grid to select a submix and the channel strip on the left to adjust its parameters.
Akai Vintage effects now have custom TUI layouts.
Workflow enhancements :
- In Sample Record mode, after recording a sample the Keep or Discard Sample popup now has f-keys to Save or Edit your sample.
- Within the Sequence Edit, Copy Events popup you can now copy the events from individual or multiple notes. Tap the pads that correspond to the events you want to copy, the Pads turn red and the Pads field now changes from All to display your selected pads.
- To make it easier to navigate your internal Akai/AIR effects they are now split into well-named groups.
- TC can now be applied to all tracks. Open the TC popup and use the All Track f-key to apply the current TC settings to all MIDI tracks.
- From within the Sequence Edit > Copy Sequence and Track Edit > Copy Track popups you can now rename the destination sequence/track.
- The Mode Menu icons have been refreshed to improve their visual clarity.
- In the desktop software AIR Mini Grand now has a custom TUI layout in Program Edit.
Stability and reliability
- Drum program-specific parameters have been excluded from display for other program types
- Audio inputs now work first time in the desktop software on macOS High Sierra
- MPC now requests microphone access correctly on macOS High Sierra
- Monitor settings are now saved with the project
- Level state, pan state and insert effects are now included when copying an audio track
- Marquee-selected audio regions now remain selected when the current tool is changed
- Automation data is now correctly restored when loading projects made in version 2.1 or earlier
- TUI can now reliably display more than five simultaneous automated parameter value changes per page
- Automation will now display correct values when TC is set to Off
- It is now possible to edit the last automation event of a grid correctly
- Channel Mixer is now fully visible on the GUI when the mode is opened for the first time
- Relative Snap now works for MIDI events when using the Data Dial
- Events can no longer be placed before 1:1:0 on the timeline
- Don’t Snap function will now always work correctly after pressing the Shift button
- Note end points will now snap correctly when snap is set to Absolute
- An unavailable drive name is no longer referenced when accessing a favorite folder that belongs to an unavailable drive
- The file list cursor position is now retained when deleting a file
- Media Browser: Icons now update correctly when moving between different file types with the same file name
- The Configure page for MPC Touch setup will no longer crash the installer
- Untrue “Program may not have installed correctly" message no longer appears after updating firmware from Windows
- Program automation can now be inserted in an empty project
- MIDI Clock synchronization is now more stable when changing modes
- Sequence loop ranges set in Main Mode will now apply to sequence playback in Next Sequence Mode correctly
Plugin Hosting - Effects
- Undoing and redoing deletions of Akai effects will no longer cause a crash
- The Type filter for the list of effects is now On by default
- Mother Ducker: Parameter value displays now update correctly when loading a saved preset
- Mother Ducker: Saved presets are now accessible from the Presets field
- AIR Channel Strip: On/Off parameters now toggle when the Data Dial is pushed in
- AIR Para EQ: Touch targets for band On/Off parameters are now larger
- The Window button on MPC Renaissance and MPC Studio will now open plugin GUIs
- Hardware focus is now retained when moving between insert effects
Plugin Hosting - Instruments
- Hardware focus position is now restored correctly after leaving an overlay
- The default setting for Audition Auto Play is now 30 seconds
- Clip Edit f-keys no longer appear on Preferences pages
- Ethernet address information now clears when disconnecting from a network
- On the GUI, users can now type values into the Start Time field on the Sync page
- When a track’s program is set to <none> it is no longer possible to rename it
Program Edit - Plugin/MIDI
- Parameter labels will no longer disappear from MPC Renaissance and Studio’s LCD displays when pressing pads
- Changes to parameter layouts in the GUI are now correctly reflected on MPC Renaissance and Studio’s LCD displays
Program Edit - Clip
- Launching a clip while playback is stopped now plays the sequence from start
Program Edit - CV
- The error “Unsupported CV ports” will no longer appear when loading a project containing CV programs with Gate Port set to Off
- Q-Links assignments will now display correctly when changed
- Parameter assignments that are identical across project loads now load their correct values
- Q-Links no longer adjust the wrong parameters after making changes to pad sample assignments
- Looping a patched phrase with large slices and a high value for Bars is now audibly correct
- Patched phrase slices will now play back correctly
- Inputs are now displayed correctly on MPC Renaissance and Studio LCD screens
- The maximum recording time value can no longer be changed during a recording
- The current program is now selected in the Keep or Discard dialog
- Monitoring for mono inputs is now working correctly
- It is now possible to select a pad when assigning a recorded sample
Saving and Loading
- Loading a MIDI file containing more than 128 separate tracks will no longer cause a crash
- An error message is now shown if the wrong extension is used when saving a file
- An incorrect program label no longer appears when an existing program is reloaded to the project
- “Error saving sample” message now displays the correct filename
- Sequences are no longer skipped in playback when Ableton Link is enabled
- Preset button states no longer cycle on first new touch
- Holding the Shift button no longer displays numbers that do not reflect current steps in the current track
- The Note Repeat and Arpeggiator features can now be used while in this mode
- Program-level automation can now be written while in this mode
- Input from MIDI controllers may now be recorded while in this mode
- The spacebar shortcut is now functional when MPC is running as a plugin in a supported DAW and the plugin has focus
- Record and Overdub are now automatically disabled when MPC is running as a plugin in a supported DAW and DAW transport is stopped
- Changing a track’s program is now an undoable action
- XYFX no longer latches when the control area is held and the mode is changed
- A disabled state is now visible when an XYFX instance is bypassed from a channel strip